Thursday, August 13, 2009

Part Duex

As I write this I am sitting in a hotel in Marietta, Ohio. (By the way if you get the chance to stay at a Microtel Inn & Suites you should. They are modern and super sleek looking. We have stainless steel appliances- and by appliances I mean mini fridge and microwave, and a flat screen tv. Emma is most thrilled with the window seat that has a cushion, which means you are supposed to sit there. ) We decided it would be best to break the drive back into 2 legs. The girls did fantastic on the way down, but I didn't want to tempt the beast twice. Rob completely agreed, and I think that he was more than happy to not spend 13 straight hours in the car.

Yesterday, we hit up Carolina Bar-B-Q for lunch. It was imperative that if we were in BBQ country to get BBQ. Neither of us were thrilled with the actual pork but we loved all of the sides. I now realize what actual hushpuppies taste like. (Sorry, BGG those hushpuppies are fake.) I had slaw, potato salad and hush puppies. Rob picked fries, pinto beans and hush puppies. Emma hoovered a whole BBQ sandwich and applesauce. Arabel got mac and cheese with sweet potato sticks. Our eyes have been opened to the wonderous deep fried sweet potato. It was amazing. We WILL be figuring out how to make them at home, that I promise. Dinner was Maw's chicken casserole at her house with the family. Emma and Arabel met their cousins for the first time. Emma adored them. I managed to weasel some Waffle House for a late night snack after hanging out a bit more with Steven.

As we headed out of town today we stopped by Cook Out, which is hands down my new favorite fast food joint. (Dear Michigan, Please get a freaking Cook Out. Thanks, Kimm) Carolina burgers have made their way into my heart. I was slightly disappointed that the weather wasn't cooperating with my wishes of getting a tan. I guess Mother Nature wants me to be pale forever. :) Emma's favorite find was a kid sized toilet at a rest area in West Virgina (?) She thought that was pretty sweet.

On an unrelated note: Today is our 5th anniversary together. Rob surprised me by bringing me a dozen red roses, a bottle of Chianti and a Hershey pie to the hotel. I couldn't be happier. :) Hard to believe that it has been 5 years.

Pictures to come. I have to work this weekend, and I will do my best to get them uploaded and posted for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment